Right after the hurricane we thought Jack had the chicken pox. My poor baby had little bumps all over his head, his arms, his legs, his face, and his shoulders and torso even had a few! He even ran a low fever and was miserable at night. So, I ran to the store and bought Caladryl & Calaclear, coated him, and called the daycare and the doctor.
As predicted, the daycare freaked out and told me not to bring him back for three weeks. Yeah, right! For those of you with little kids, know that the state health guidelines say that kids can go back to school "seven days after the onset of the rash if the blisters have crusted over..." Then, the doctor said that it was not chicken pox, it was MOSQUITO bites. You know, those annoying little creatures that seem to reproduce more prolifically after hurricanes than rabbits in Spring. I mean, are they annoying anyone else as much as they are us, or what??? I now have a new appreciation for the words "pest" and "infestation." I heard that one man in Galveston was bit over one thousand times (I spelled that so you wouldn't think I got carried away with the zeroes), yes, 1000+ times, and had to be life flighted to a hospital. Thankfully, the Texas Department of Health has recognized the problem and has ordered planes to spray against the little monsters between 10pm and 6am. I think they were supposed to have done this already. Has anyone noticed an improvement? I think they have, but that may be wishful thinking on my part????
Meanwhile, the stores are making a killing selling mosquito repellent. Some stores have been completely wiped out. Robbie's coach brought a can with "40% Deet" to football practice the other day. Even the most finicky moms allowed their children to be sprayed. Then the moms sprayed each other. I have never closed my eyes, held my breath and allowed anyone to spray my face and neck with mosquito repellent. Ugh, I was THAT desperate! Of course, I am a former West Nile Virus victim, so I'm probably more paranoid than most! See my link to Insect Repellent Reviews on the side.
1 comment:
Ugh those pesky biting you know what's...BUT, I do believe they sprayed the other night. I have noticed a huge difference on our side of town. They said the stuff the plane dropped will kill those skeeters on contact. I hope it isn't a one time deal. OMG-this is your word verification: xaazxncv...seriously LOL
Post a Comment